Thursday, February 6, 2020

Tues Feb 4 - In which I am the captain

New Smyrna Beach to Titusville mooring ball

I decided I would captain us off the dock this morning - since there was not a breath of wind and it was a straight back out... I knew I could make it look good! The overly friendly guys around us were all agog that there was a woman driver.  Heaven help us.  This might explain why an awful lot of Trump flags can be see on boats and in marinas.  It's a bunch of old white guys desperate to stay stuck in the 50s.  Not any guys I know.  Obviously...

It was another loooonnnnng stretch and, I'm not gonna lie, we are both not too keen on the fact that we have to go back this way.  It's just a bunch of driving by the dots - keeping the green ICW marker on the left and the red one on the right and making sure you are NEVER outside of the channel as that's the only place that's been dredged deep enough.  Even in a huge expanse of water the depth is only about 5" or lower outside of the channel.  It does make me admire that attention and money that has been spent to develop and maintain the ICW.  That's the kind of use of my tax dollars I am now appreciating first hand!

Whoever is driving gets to chose which book on tape we listen to, when we are not jamming to music.  We just finished a non-fiction examination of the major plagues, called Get Better Soon, which was terrific.  It was interesting and hilarious, which is not immediately what one expects in a plague book.  But the author's voice was so snarky and funny.  Now Rick is on to the Richard Sharp series by Bernard Cornwell, which I'm thinking will last us the whole Loop since there are 15 of them.  I'm listening to Dear Fahrenheit 451 by Annie Spence, which is so lovely and charming I want to eat it like ice cream. She totally GETS me.   It's a librarian writing love letters and breakup notes to the books in her life.  It's a must read for anyone who loves books.  And I love everything about books - the smell, the feel, the escape; I wanted to get married in the library that so influenced my childhood...but that didn't work out.

We are both happy to see Titusville - it was a long day of driving.  They are often longer than we expect, with weather or slow zones against us.  It's a mooring field operating on a first-come first-serve basis, but the real Loop traffic hasn't gotten here yet so we have plenty to choose from.  And I'm driving again!  The first ball we chose is so encrusted with barnacles that it takes Rick several tries to pick it up (lots of practice for me and very little yelling).  It's too over grown to feel good about, so we chose another and pick it up on the first pass.  Maybe we are getting better at this?



The dingy is a tremendous pain to get down - not for me, all I have to do is push it past the swim platform into the water..  Rick is the one who had to hand-lower it using pulleys - first the front, then the back, etc etc.  But he loves me so he gets it down so we can walk around.  Also he wants to find a plumbing store to try to fix the sink.  At the excellent suggestion of his wife he calls the store to find that they don't have the part he needs.  Good thing we didn't walk 20 minutes through a bad part of town to find that store.  A happy wife = a happy life, don't you know...

There is not much 'there' to Titusville.  A couple of cute downtown streets and the rest seems to be medium-city sprawl.  We tried to get tickets to the local production of Menopause the Musical, but it was opening night and sold out. The main sight is the Pritchard House, which is lovely example of restored Queen Anne blah blah blah.



 I was more interested in the restored comfort of the Playalinda Brewing Company which had a great smoked fish appetizer.

We are always entertained by the local sights, and so enjoyed the rest of the walk:






A quick episode of Virgin River (so so dumb but somehow so watchable) and we were off to bed. The frequent show nature puts on is so much more moving than anything on a screen...

Sunset - wind blowing up high



No comments:

Post a Comment