Friday, February 21, 2020

Tues Feb 18 - Dania City Marina to Lake Worth Anchorage

 In which we leave our Southern Terminus

Rick just told me that we have gone over 1,000 miles!  And we are not divorced.  That's a win-win if you ask me...

Today started early and sweaty, as we cleaned and repacked our new couch storage space.  I, for one, am happy the tools are packed away.   I acknowledge their importance, but I'm tired of tripping over them.

This is as far south as we will come this year, and we are both ready to start north again.  We were sorry to say goodbye to our twin trawler, Scout (Mike, Sharon and the doggos) - it's been fun to be neighbors for a few days.  Unfortunately for our pocket book, seeing how they had outfitted their trawler as a real 'home' made us both instantly want to upgrade some things.  I guess we hadn't really thought of it as a 'home' and were just making due with what was on board when we bought the boat.  (In terms of home accessories, I mean - we have bought a metric shit-ton of gear for the boat).

Rick didn't even break into a sweat with worry over the low bridge and shallow water as we got out of the marina.  Or, possibly, he did but I couldn't tell because we were both drenched by 9am.  This might be why tempers were a little short when some of us were back seat driving when others of us CLEARLY had things under control...

We chose to have a long day to get north as fast as possible in the hopes that I will stop hot-flashing.  Even Rick, who knows better, has started to wonder aloud about the cutoff date for menopause.  Pleasantly, the whole day seemed less stressful than usual because we'd done the route before.  There were 17 bridges, but we had the schedule and radio chatter down pat.  This whole water channel of SoFl is one long concrete canyon.  It's lined on either side with fancy high-rises, or fancy (ridiculously large one-family) homes and fab docks/boats.  It's fun to cruise past, but it's not hard to think of many other ways that money might be spent to benefit more than just one family. (I say, as a boat owner).  Any wake that goes by us turns into rebound waves as the concrete canyon amplifies it.  (I'm sure there is a good physics term for that - let me ask William).

The good news - the sun was behind us so less sunburn was to be had on the bridge. - Yay!
The bad news - the wind was behind us so it was pretty airless and hot on the bridge. - Boo!

The most fun thing that happened today was that, as we were going through Ft. Lauderdale with few other souls around, a little boat buzzed us.  It was our friend and boat broker, Rick Dillman.  He came out in his little boat (Tender Is The Night - I'm not making that up) just to see us off.

Thank you, Rick!!
As we drove we rocked out to Yacht Rock Revue Band, recommended by our friend Susan Stock.  Appropriate, no?!


I FLIPPED out that the direction indicator was broken.  No.  I'm just an idiot.  We are headed due North.

Today's view from my office

Doesn't this look like The African Queen

Very Disney
We passed our anchorage in Boca.  There were people STANDING UP - no wonder we almost ran around.

We anchored back in Lake Worth, which was easy-peasey - somehow the key element being that we have done this anchorage before.  I was so sweaty by the end of the day that I could have been wrung out in my Grandma's old flat wringer.  That is exactly how I like to end the day, only the exact opposite... Grump Grump.

This hydrofoil sailboat/board cheered me up - the pictures don't do it justice.  It's incredible to watch it up pop up out of the water.




Boat Name of the day:  Angler Management

1 comment:

  1. I really love the pictures you include with your posts!

    ReplyDelete