Thursday, October 12, 2023

Tues Oct 10: Michigan City to Montrose Chicago Marina

Well-all’s well that’s ends well, is all I want to remember about the day we had. It was worth it - but for awhile it didn't seem like it was going to be...

We slept little, what with the boat bouncing around, the lines groaning and us straining to hear if the wind had calmed any. By 9am we had decided not to go-a good look at the white caps put us right off our feed. By 10am we were, once again, dithering…we just didn’t want to disappoint Claire. By 11am I had convinced Rick to ‘try’ it, thinking that 1 hour in it would calm a bit. Remember, it's easy to be the 'idea' person - I just say whatever crazy thing is in my head.  It's much harder to be the person who executes the idea. Poor Rick - against his better judgement, and the small-craft warning, he agreed.

Just getting off the dock was a feat---once in the fairway I stopped doing my job as lookout for one second and the wind blew us right at the boat next to us.  We missed them by inches, I didn't even have time to fend off after I heard Rick shriek like a 6th-grade-girl. We passed a sailboat headed further into the marina, looking for calmer water (you know it's rough on the water if even the marina water isn't calm enough). They looked at us  heading out past the breakwater like we were insane.  Dear Reader - I tell you, we were.  Not 3 minutes into open water I asked Rick if we could turn back. I was so scared I was shaking.  Rick: let's just try it for a little bit.   Me: 🤢😱😖

After a while I reached fear-saturation, and then I was a terrible combination of scared, bored and nauseous.  I spent the whole 5 hours curled up on the couch trying not to throw up (and rehearsing our escape protocols in my mind), and Rick spent it standing at the lower helm fighting the waves like Poseidon. It did calm a bit, half-way in.  But that's like 4-6 ft waves vs 3-4 ft waves. Terrible to semi-terrible.  My flight/fear lizard brain stem could not tell the difference.


It took FOREVER to crawl across this space.......








It was such a rough crossing that everything fell into the sink.


But look what was waiting on the other side!!! First I had to kiss the dock.  And then is was full-on Claire hugging!!!  She brought 5 friends along, and we fed them pizza and Mackinac Island fudge and had a wonderful time.  Montrose Marina is just north of Chicago; close to Claire's place, and a lovely quiet marina with a fun city view.  We both wished we had spent the whole week here.  We could just as easily been scared to death earlier in the week, and then had more time to enjoy the marina...

 
 
 
I guess it was worth it to be Persistent???  Mostly that was Rick....bless him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment